This course will be presented by Kristy Burton, PhD, LPC-S, AADC, MAC, CS, NCC, SAP, TA, A Licensed Professional Counselor and Advanced Alcohol Drug Counselor with nearly 10 years of experience as a therapist and over 20 years working with individuals with substance use disorders. We will be reviewing information from the new Motivational Interviewing 4th edition text.
- The Spirit of Motivational Interviewing
- The basic skills of Motivational Interviewing (open-ended questions, affirmations, reflective listening, summarizing)
- The five stages of change and the characteristics that define each
- The four types of resistance you may encounter (reluctance, rebellion, resignation, and rationalization) and how to roll with resistance
- Techniques to balance advocacy and inquiry in conversations that can lead to behavioral health change
- The ways in which Motivational Interviewing can positively impact client wellness
Event Details: The event will be offered via video conferencing. You will be provided access to the continuing education certificate, slideshow, and other pertinent materials following submission of your post-event evaluation survey. As such, please register for the event with an individual email account.
Continuing Education Hours: This course is approved by NBCC for 6 continuing education hours.
Date and time
Friday, May 17, 2024
9 am to 4 pm central.
A link will be sent to all registered virtual attendees.