This course will be presented by Kristy Burton, PhD, LPC-S, AADC, NCC, SAP, TA, A Licensed Professional Counselor and Advanced Alcohol Drug Counselor with nearly 10 years of experience as a therapist and over 20 years working with individuals with substance use disorders. We will be reviewing information from the new Motivational Interviewing 4th edition text.
- The Spirit of Motivational Interviewing
- The basic skills of Motivational Interviewing (open-ended questions, affirmations, reflective listening, summarizing)
- The five stages of change and the characteristics that define each
- The four types of resistance you may encounter (reluctance, rebellion, resignation, and rationalization) and how to roll with resistance
- Techniques to balance advocacy and inquiry in conversations that can lead to behavioral health change
- The ways in which Motivational Interviewing can positively impact client wellness
Event Details: The event will be offered via Zoom video conferencing or in person (Springdale, Arkansas). You will be provided access to the continuing education certificate, slideshow, and other pertinent materials following submission of your post-event evaluation survey. As such, please register for the event with an individual email account.
Continuing Education Hours: This course is approved by NBCC for 3 continuing education hours.
Date and time
Friday, December 1, 2023, 9:00 am to noon
$50 or $75 for both sessions
2940 W. Sunset Ave., Springdale, Arkansas (subject to change based on number of in person registrants.
A zoom link will be sent to all registered virtual attendees.